Georgian Style of Architecture When the royal House of Hanover ascended the throne of the United Kingdom with George I in 1714, it ushered in a distinctive “Georgian style” seen in the architecture and interior…
Tour of London: 5-day small group tour
Explore the greater city of London on a small group tour with Odyssey Traveller for 4 full days.
London is the capital of England and the United Kingdom and one of the major metropolitan centres in the European continent. Its history stretches back to the Romans, who founded the ancient settlement of Londinium in 43 AD. The Romans' London Wall was a defensive wall built around the city and which defined its boundaries until the late Middle Ages. Though the wall was dismantled around the 1700s, sections of it are still visible, snaking through private and public establishments in the city of London. Left largely abandoned after the fall of the Roman Empire, the city later grew and became increasingly prosperous until London itself became the seat of a vast empire that reached its peak during Queen Victoria's reign. The growth of industry ushered in the Industrial Revolution, which led to Britain accounting for nearly a quarter of global industrial production in the 19th century, with British workers becoming the richest men and women in Europe. But the mass migration of people from the countryside to the city also resulted in overcrowded housing, pollution, and unsanitary, disease-ridden living conditions. By the mid-18th century, London was a city of 750,000 people, filled with factories that burned coal and blanketed its buildings with soot. Working and living conditions improved with new government regulations, and the city, surviving widespread damage brought by two world wars, remains an important cultural and commercial centre in the world.
This small group tour is offered to travellers who are seeking a five-day extension in the city as part of an Odyssey Traveller escorted small group tour. Travellers may also consider joining the 21-day Queen Victoria's Great Britain tour, which begins in London and explores other cities in Great Britain.
The tour stays in a centrally located hotel in London. Each day we set out to explore various parts of the city, typically using public transport, including the London tube on occasion, taxis and the rail network to reach the destinations selected, taking in 2-3 key features or attractions of the city. We will be aided by knowledgeable, local guides who share the ancient, classical, and recent history of the city with the group as we explore. We typically use public and private transport or walk around the city for visits.
Highlights of this London small group tour:
- Walk the London Wall and view a portion of the wall underground at Spitalfields Market.
- View the Temple of Mithras. The remains of the temple was discovered in 1950s in Walbrook and was reconstructed for public viewing. The religion and rituals centred on the god Mithras remains a mystery, though we know the Mithraic religion was practised in Rome, especially among members of the Roman military. The Museum of London houses relics from the original temple.
- Walking along the Thames will give us a view of the many places we can explore: Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament, the London Eye, Tate Modern and Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre.
- Enjoy one show at the theatre in the west end.
- Attend typically with a guide up to 3 exhibitions in London
- In 2019, Buckingham Palace is open to visitors from July 20 until September 29. Visit the Queen's official London residence and explore its lavish State Rooms.
- Take the train to Eton/Windsor for the day with a local guide touring this local area.
Articles about London published by Odyssey Traveller
The following list of articles published by Odyssey Traveller for mature aged and senior travellers to maximise their knowledge and enjoyment of London when visiting;
- The London Underground
- Victorian Women's Fashion
- Queen Victoria's Britain, Part 1 and Part 2
- Understanding British Churches
- Studying Gargoyles and grotesques
- Georgian Architecture
- London's Victorian Architecture
External articles to assist you on your short break in London
Tour in Britain with Odyssey Traveller
This short tour of London is only one of many small group tours offered by Odyssey Traveller in Great Britain. These active tours are designed for the mature traveller to enjoy in a small group holiday and learning environment.
Small Group Tours with Odyssey Traveller
This tour to London is based in the heart of the city and gives travellers easy access to popular tourist attractions and public transport. Similar to other Odyssey Traveller tours, this tour is designed for the senior traveller and is fully escorted, with the group accompanied by an Odyssey Program Leader and local guides, adding expert knowledge about the history and culture of the area. The small group setting also ensures flexibility and focused attention to programme participants.
For more details, click the ‘Top 5’ or ‘Itinerary’ buttons above! If you’re keen to experience this tour, please call or send an email. Or, to book, simply fill in the form on the right-hand side of this page.